Monday, July 12, 2010

Mangala Shri Bhuti -- a Tibetan Buddhist organization founded by the Venerable Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Going on this week in Boulder currently - teachings on the lojong prayer meditation 'The Eight Versus of Thought Transformation":

Nyingma Summer Seminar 2010

The Three Yanas and Mind Training: The Eight Verses of Langri Thangpa
July 10-18
Phuntsok Choling, Ward, CO

During the Mahayana section of this year's seminar, Rinpoche will give the transmission and commentary for The Eight Verses of Training the Mind, by the Kadampa master Geshe Langri Thangpa (1054-1123). Of this pithy text, which falls under the class of lojong, or “mind transformation,” teachings, the great Sharawa said, “Whether or not you like this teaching, it is one you can only dispense with if you don’t want to attain Buddhahood.”

The Eight Verses of Training the Mind

1. By thinking of all sentient beings

As more precious than a wish-fulfilling jewel

For accomplishing the highest aim,

I will always hold them dear.

2. Whenever I’m in the company of others,

I will regard myself as the lowest among all,

And from the depths of my heart

Cherish others as supreme.

3. In my every action, I will watch my mind,

And the moment destructive emotions arise,

I will confront them strongly and avert them,

Since they will hurt both me and others.

4. Whenever I see ill-natured people,

Or those overwhelmed by heavy misdeeds or suffering,

I will cherish them as something rare,

As though I’d found a priceless treasure.

5. Whenever someone out of envy

Does me wrong by attacking or belittling me,

I will take defeat upon myself,

And give the victory to others.

6. Even when someone I have helped,

Or in whom I have placed great hopes

Mistreats me very unjustly,

I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher.

7. In brief, directly or indirectly,

I will offer help and happiness to all my mothers,

And secretly take upon myself

All their hurt and suffering.

8. I will learn to keep all these practices

Untainted by thoughts of the eight worldly concerns.

May I recognize all things as like illusions,

And, without attachment, gain freedom from bondage.

The Nyingma Summer Seminar is a nine-day public program of study and practice that introduces the progressive stages of the path, which can be categorized into the three yanas or vehicles: the Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana.

During this program, Rinpoche will conduct refuge and bodhisattva vow ceremonies. The refuge ceremony will held the afternoon of July 11th and the bodhisattva vow ceremony will be the morning of July 12th. If you are interested in taking either of these vows for the first time, please email Bob Reid.

Price: $375


REGISTRATION AND PROGRAM INFORMATION


No comments:

Post a Comment